|The history of Gosfield Church
The first church was built by Aubrey de Vere, third Earl of Oxford, the princely owner of much of north Essex, in 1190. His countess had recently built a convent at Hedingham, and the titles of the new church were given to the nunnery. When Henry VIII suppressed the convent in 1536 he presented the titles to the 15th Earl, known as the good Earl of Oxford’. His effigy in black marble lies in the chancel at Castle Hedingham Parish Church.
A more detailed history is available
See more details